Thursday, April 15, 2010

It's Hard!

Parenting is hard.  (I know, people say that all the time.)  It is hard to deal with the same discipline issues over and over and over and over again.  It is difficult helping to guide your child into becoming self-disciplined, motivated, productive, kind, compassionate, loving, a good listener, a leader, and more.  There are days when I just want to say,"Ya, know what?  I am over this" and walk away.   But, I don't.  I don't because I have seen what happens to kids whose parents don't discipline them.  I have dealt with kids and ...ahem...adults who do not posess any of the qualities listed above and I don't want my kids to act like that.  So instead, I quietly scream inside my head as I continue to mold them and I try, really try, to patiently deal with the issue. 
Today I had to explain to Makena that because I love her, I am willing to take the time to discipline her.
Because I love her I took time to show her what she did that needs correction and the reason why it was wrong.
Because I have a partnership in parenting, I text my husband and filled him in on everything and, together, we came up with a plan of action.  (Plus I needed some back up!)
Because I discipline my children, I also try to show them lots of love in their love languages.  Together, Ryan and I try to fill up their love tanks because when their love tanks are full, they receive correction easier.
Throughout each day, I pray that the choices I make will teach them to make good choices and they will grow into the wonderful person God intended them to be.

3 comments:

Marji said...

Iagree with everything you wrote here. Just today I thought to myself "I have no idea what I am doing and how to discipline S" The first year is all about providing and now the real parenting has begun! YOu guys are awesome parents I know I'll be calling you for pointers!

Lori said...

When they are babies they are easy and when they get to be 4-5 years old they become difficult. Then, they "level up" with the teen years followed by the leading of their own lives. You will be there every step of the way and are doing a wonderful job!

Ryan and Melanie said...

Thanks LB and Lori! :)