Monday, April 19, 2010

Happiness

Stress.  I'm not overwhelmed.  I'm not lonely.  I'm not angry.  I don't have insomnia.  I'm not overeating/undereating.  I'm simply living.  But I feel blah.  I feel as if I am just going through the motions and faking excitement and happiness.  So I looked up depression on line and ...I don't have it.  Then, I read this last night-

      A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22
Then this is what the commentary said about that verse:
     The adage "Happiness is a choice" could be applied here.  When circumstances threaten to crush people's spirits and sink them in gloom, they need powerful "medicine" of joy more than ever.  Solomon is probably not advocating a superficial "grin and bear it" or"put on a happy face" mentality, but instead, a deep, adbiding faith that all will be well for those who trust God. 
     Life's trials and disappointments can indeed feel crushing at times, but we need not roll over in despair.  Rather, the prescription for happiness is at our fingertips.  We can cultivate our faith in the profoundly good news of the One who encourages us with these words: "I have told you these things, so that in my you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world" (Jn 16:33)

I read it again and again.   I then decided that I am going to apply the verse from Proverbs to my life throughout the day this week and see if it helps me get out of my slump.  I will take joy in the little things of life and in the big things!  I will let you know if it works for me.

2 comments:

breitx4 said...

I miss my family! I want to meet my niece! I want to go get our toes done together and yell at eachother's kids (ha!ha!)! And I really wish our husband's could help eachother with the projects:) Counting down the days until we are there with you. I'm so proud of my baby sister! I love you!
P.S. Send some more pic's of Brinley. I'm so sad seeing her grow-up in pictures...

Ryan and Melanie said...

Just to let you know, Ryan keeps asking about the big Breitwiser project. :) I miss you tooooooooo....