Monday, February 19, 2007

Early Literacy and the Doctor

Makena has always had a passion for books. At 8 weeks, I started reading to her before every nap and bedtime so she has had the reading experience for a long time. Well, recently she has started "reading" to us. She will choose a story and "read" it to us using words from that story which she has memorized. She will also choose a story and "read" it to us by looking at the pictures and telling us about them. I get so excited because she is using literacy skills at an early age! Makena will put her dolls and stuffed animals to bed and "read" to them. It is too cute! Today, she opened her toddler bible and sang "Jesus Loves Me" and another song while flipping throught the pages. It is great!

Now, here is the doctor part:

This morning I had my 30 week appt. and Makena came with me. While we were there she was so exicted to hear Brody's heartbeat and see me have my blood pressure taken by the nurse. I was able to show her a picture of a 28 week gestational age baby at the DR office and she was fascinated when I told her that is what Brody looks like now. Speaking of Brody, when Makena comes close to my tummy and talks, he moves around so much. Last night he kicked her hand and her face lit up! She asks to hold the baby which means to put her hands on my tummy. Soooo cute!

No comments: