Monday, May 08, 2006

"night-night"

Makena has a beautiful handmade quilt that she adores and calls her "night-night". She uses it to fall asleep and play with at times. It is her comfort when she is sad, frusturated, upset, happy, excited, needs strength. . .basically it is her attachment object which is very normal for toddlers. I got this book out the library called "the girlfriends guide to the toddler years" to read for pleasure and it is very cute. In it the author talks about these attachment objects or "night-nights" and how she desperatly wishes that she has one as an adult. After reading that I thought for a moment. . .when I am hurting and in need of comfort what do I use as my "night-night"? Well, I turn to God. He gives me comfort when I am stressed out, frusturated, angry, hurt, etc. . .He shares in my happiness and is with me each step of the way. How awesome that an adult can have a "night-night" too! My hope is that one day Makena will say good-bye to her precious "night-night" and turn to God for comfort and strength.

2 comments:

Lori said...

soo sweet! i feel the same way!
she will turn to god...because her mommy will show her :) (pat pon your back)

Ryan and Melanie said...

Thanks Lori!!!!